On Monti Pisani where is a abandoned little village which is called Mirteto. Tha name is derived from the plant myrtle (it. mirto). These myrtles are common around Mirteto. The village’s origin is unknown, although it is mentioned in three documents: in “Annali Camaldolesi” in 1150, in a bull of Gregorio IX on May 15 1227 and in a letter adressed to Pope Alessandro IV prior in 1258.
In 1712 it belonged to Ricci family, but today is “free’ and belongs to nature and wilderness.
Sources and inspiration: www.luoghimisteriosi.it